A MONUMENTAL TWO-HANDLED PORCELAIN VASE

Author

BY THE IMPERIAL PORCELAIN FACTORY, ST PETERSBURG, PERIOD OF ALEXANDER II

Add to collection

Lot details

A MONUMENTAL TWO-HANDLED PORCELAIN VASE
BY THE IMPERIAL PORCELAIN FACTORY, ST PETERSBURG, PERIOD OF ALEXANDER II
Of amphora form on spreading circular foot, the body finely painted with a school room scene after B. De Loose, inscribed 'After the painting by B. DE LOOSE.' (lower left) and signed in Cyrillic 'M. Kriukov' and dated '1866' (lower right), within ciselé geometric border, the reverse decorated with a band of ciselé stylised strapwork cartouches within scrolling foliate acanthus painted en grisaille with gilt detailing, the waisted flared cylindrical neck with everted rim moulded with burnished gold acanthus leaf and pellet border, and flanked by two upswept acanthus-capped and goat mask scrolling handles, the lower section gilt and moulded with rising rosettes, on a waisted gilt and foliate acanthus painted socle, the matte gold leaf-moulded foot on square ormolu base, apparently no factory mark, parts of the vase incised and inscribed with Cyrillic initials 'P:D:' and 'P:A:' and numerals; together with framed parchment manuscript detailing the vase's provenance and dated 1889
59½ in. (151.1 cm.) high, including base