A pair of Russian ceramic plates from the Imperial yacht The Queen Victoria, Gardner

Add to collection

Lot details

A pair of Russian ceramic plates from the Imperial yacht The Queen Victoria, Gardner 19th century the center of each painted with an Imperial eagle above a ribbon inscribed, 'The Queen Victoria,' the borders decorated with blue scrolls with gilded edges, red manufactory marks diameter 10 1/2in. (26.7cm.) The Imperial yacht, The Queen Victoria, was built in England and launched at East Cowes on the Isle of Wight, June 20, 1846. It was named in honor of Queen Victoria and the bow incorporated a figurehead of Queen Victoria. It was described by the Illustrated London News at the time as a 'floating palace.' The yacht enjoyed only short service, as it sunk in the Gulf of Finland circa 1850. This service was originally manufactured in England. Additions to the service were made in Russia. For both both English and Russian examples, see, An Imperial Fascination: Dining with the Czars, A La Vieille Russie, New York, Nos. 279, 280