View of the moscow kremlin from the english embankment
Petr Petrovich Vereschagin
Petr Petrovich Vereschagin, 1836-1886 view of the moscow kremlin from the english embankment. Provenance: Collection of Fedor Ivanovich Chaliapin, Paris By descent to present owner 'There is nothing above Moscow except the Kremlin, and nothing above the Kremlin except Heaven'. (An old Russian proverb). The Kremlin originated in the strategic wooden military fortifications built by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky of Suzdal in the 12th Century, with the town of Moscow gradually developing around it during the subsequent centuries. It has always remained central to the Muscovite sphere. To enhance the status of Moscow, and to symbolize the unifying political power of Moscow, the Kremlin became a repository for treasures transferred from outlying principalities. The finely painted view of the south side of the Kremlim shows in meticulous detail (from left to right), the Armoury Palace, the Water Tower, the Great Kremlin Palace (built 1839-49) with its dome-shaped gilt belvedere; with in the foreground the Tower of the Annunciation and its associated church, to the west of the Great Kremlin Palace, (apparently shrouded in scaffolding) is the Cathedral of the Annunciation, with beyond, the soaring Ivan the Great Bell Tower, in front of which is seen the Cathedral of the Archangel Michael.