The kursk mother of God
The Virgin of the type known as the Sign at the centre of the panel encased in a gilt metal setting embellished with seed pearls and surrounded by half length figures of Old Testament Prophets holding scrolls to indicate their prophecies of the Incarnation, the God of Sabaoth above, 18th century, partially overcleaned. The miraculous prototype of the Kursk Virgin was discovered at the root of a tree in the town of that name in 1295. During the Tartar period it was thrown down a well to conceal it during a raid and subsequently recovered. Removed to Serbia during the early period of Soviet power, the icon was brought to America after the Second World War and is now in New York.