THE MOTHER OF GOD OF AKHTYRSK

Add to collection

The Virgin shown praying before a crucifix, the baroque cartouche below with the Imperial Eagle and the inscription ‘image of the Miracle Working icon of the newly manifested icon of the Akhtyrsk Virgin, 1841'. The prototype for the icon was discovered in 1739 in the town of Akhtyrsk (Government of Kharkov), in 1844, the Holy Synod authorised twice yearly processions of the icon in the city where it appeared.