THREE PORCELAIN DINNER-PLATES FROM THE ALEXANDRIA SERVICE
By the Imperial Porcelain Factory, St. Petersburg, period of Alexander II (1855-1881), period of Alexander III, dated 1893, and period of Nicholas II, dated 1901. The borders decorated with blue heraldic shield painted with a sword passing through a wreath of white roses and gilt with Cyrillic inscription "For Faith, Tsar and Fatherland", between gilt bands, the center with gilt rosette, on white ground, (one with wear to gilt). This service was originally commissioned about 1830 for the Tsar's summer residence the "Alexandria" in Peterhof. The decoration of the heraldic emblem reflects the Gothic taste of the time and was inspired by the Potsdam tournament of 1829 where the winners were crowned with white roses.