A PORCELAIN DINNER-PLATE FROM THE BANQUETING SERVICE OF THE IMPERIAL ORDER OF SAINT ANDREW FIRST CALLED
By the Gardner Factory, Moscow Province, late 18th century. The white ground painted with central star enclosing light blue cross of the Order on gold ground within Cyrillic inscription "For Faith and Fidelity" encircled by the collar of St. Andrew within molded and gilt undulating rim (some wear to gilt). The Order of Saint Andrew was established by Peter the Great on November 28, 1698. It is the highest of the Russian Imperial Orders and was bestowed only upon Russian officials, ambassadors and members of the Imperial Family. In 1777, Catherine the Great commissioned the Gardner Porcelain Factory to produce a service for thirty knights who were honored annually on the Saint's Feast Day, November 5, with a celebration of high mass in the Chapel of Saint Andrew First Called on Vasilievsky Island followed by a dinner at the Winter Palace.