Pair of Gardner porcelain dinner plates from the imperial order of St. Andrew first called service
18th Century, the borders painted with the Chain of the Order centered at the bottom by the Badge of the Order, the center depicting the Star of the Order, with gilded wave rims, underglaze blue factory mark on the base. The highest of the Russian Imperial Orders, the Order of St. Andrew First Called of the Apostles was created by Peter the Great, November 28, 1698. The saint's day was celebrated on November 5th with high mass at the Chapel of St. Andrew First Called on Vasilievsky Island followed by dinner at the Winter Palace. The order was reserved for members of the Imperial Family, the highest Russian officials and ambassadors.