Three Rare Russian Cut-Glass Dessert Plates
Imperial Glass Manufactory, circa 1820
The borders cut with tapered and incised squares, scalloped edge, the inner borders faceted, the centers finely cut with intaglios of scenes of military triumph in the classical manner with a golden glass overlay, the first inscribed in Cyrillic, 'Flight of Napoleon Across the Neman,' and dated 1812; the second inscribed in Cyrillic, 'The Battle of Champenois,' and dated 1814; the third inscribed in Cyrillic,' The Surrender of the Fortresses of Braillov, Varna and others,' and dated 1828.The intaglios were cut after the designs of F. Tolstoy.
Plates from this service are preserved in the Hermitage Museum, Leningrad, and the Russian Museum, Leningrad. See, B. A. Shelkovnikov, Russian Glass in the First Half of the Nineteenth Century, fig. 13, Journal of Glass Studies, vol VI, 1964, The Corning Museum of Glass.