A GLASS DECANTER FROM THE IMPERIAL YACHT SERVICE OF ALEXANDER II
PROBABLY BY THE IMPERIAL GLASS MANUFACTORY, ST. PETERSBURG, 1855-1881
Bulbous, on a spreading circular base decorated with knotted ropework between blue, green and gilt bands, the body painted with the cypher of Czar Alexander II on one side, and an anchor on the other, alternating with stylized strapwork, double-headed eagles surrounded by ropework and anchor chains, the narrow turned neck and conical stopper similarly decorated (gilt worn in places) 123Ain. (32.5cm.), in a satin-lined black morocco fitted case, stamped Russian Imperial Treasures, Inc., The Schaffer Collection, Rockefeller Center, New York
Like Alexander II's Yacht Service in porcelain by the Imperial Porcelain Manufactory, the glassware was produced for use aboard the Emperor's imperial yacht, Derzhava.
Sold together with a document of authenticity issued by The Schaffer Collection of Russian Imperial Art Treasures, May 10,1940