A GROUP OF PORCELAIN CUPS AND SAUCERS

Author

by the gardner factory, circa ijjo, with blue factory marks (crossed swords)

Add to collection

Lot details

Comprising four cups, one covered, and four saucers, each cup painted with a flower basket held by a blue ribbon, with small floral clusters, on white ground, with bracket handles, the slightly domed cover surmounted by a fruit finial, the deep saucers of similar decoration

Founded in 1766 in the village of Verbilki, the Gardner Factory was one of the first private factories in Russia. These cups and saucers represent one of the earliest examples of Gardner's porcelain production. The crossed swords mark preceded the initial G factory mark which was not used until the late 1770s. For a Gardner teapot of similar decoration see Russian Applied Art, The Russian Museum, Leningrad, Leningrad, 1976, pi. 87